I'm continuing to try to breathe a bit of life into some rather dull textbooks. The drier weather means doing things like this are a lot easier and therefore a lot more frequent:
I found a website called collaborativelearning.org with some geography activities appropriate to dd1's current work. Once it had dawned her that she was simply 'doing' the work and not really remembering it we decided that some fun reinforcement was in order. Here are some Coast Dominoes:
And here is an activity called Continental Drift:
We made human and animal cell diagrams out of foodstuffs on paper plates:
We also went on a trip to Bewl Water with some homeschooling friends:
I am part of a facebook group called Home Education Arts Academy which sets regular themes for children (and sometimes their parents too) to inspire them to produce a piece of art (of any kind). Recently there was a theme of Sunshine. I used a youtube video which you can find here to guide us through a sunset scene. First of all we tried it in tempera paint (see below):
This had limited success. Afterwards we tried using watercolour which worked a lot better.
I put the watercolours up in the Hallway Gallery:
And then I remembered something I had read in this book recently (which I thoroughly recommend by the way):
What I remembered from the book was an experiment where half a pottery class were told they would be graded on the quality of one piece of work and the other half were told they would be graded on the quantity of work they produced (the more pots they made, the higher the grade they would achieve). Both halves of the class were given the same amount of time to complete the task. The half who would be graded on the quality of one pot worked, understandably, on perfecting that one pot. The half who would be graded on the quantity of pots they produced made lots and lots of pots. Whilst making all these pots the 'quantity half' made errors and learned by their mistakes, improving as they went along, whilst the 'quality half' didn't learn from their errors because they kept working on just one pot. It was the 'quantity half' who not only got the best grades but actually produced the best pots, even though each pot they made had had far less time given to it than the one pot made by the 'quality half'.
I was really struck by this experiment and much more that was in the book, so decided to try it out in my own little class. I told my class (of two!) that if they could produce 4 additional sunset pictures in watercolour by a particular date then they could have a small treat (one chose chocolate, the other chose carrots!). It was fascinating to watch this experiment as they suddenly had a chance to learn from previous mistakes and try new techniques. Below is some of the work the additional opportunities created:
I am really pleased we gave this a go, and I realised what pressure there can be when you are asked to produce one of something - far better to be asked to produce lots and then you can improve as you go along. I'll definitely be doing this again in the future.